In trying to obtain photos and find family members of soldiers, we are grateful when we get help from the media. Here is a sampling of some of the media interviews done over the past years…
Charlotte MacAulay of the Eastern Graphic wrote about the photo search for WW2 soldier George Ivan MACKINNON, who is buried in The Netherlands. The article, Researcher seeking photo of Second World War soldier, ran in the newspaper on September 21, 2022.
Matt Rainnie interviewed Daria for CBC PEI’s Mainstreet PEI program about her Author Talk at the Victoria Playhouse on August 11, 2022, part of the Our Island Talks Series. The interview about her book ‘No Soldier Buried Overseas Should Ever Be Forgotten‘ aired August 5, 2022. See https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-130-mainstreet-pei/clip/15929265-daria-valkenburgs-book
Pieter was interviewed by Charlotte MacAulay of the Eastern Graphic, about the photo search for WW2 soldier James Frank MOSSEY, who is buried in The Netherlands. The article Researcher seeks photo of Souris soldier from Second World War, ran in the newspaper on June 1, 2022.
Pieter and Daria were interviewed by Peter J. Wilson of the North Bay Nugget, about their research into soldiers buried in The Netherlands. The article Couple devoted to telling fallen soldiers’ stories | North Bay Nugget ran in the online version on May 19, 2022 and in the print version on May 20, 2022. See https://www.nugget.ca/news/couple-devoted-to-telling-fallen-soldiers-stories
- An article about Daria’s book and upcoming Author Talk at the North Bay Library was published in Bay Today.ca on May 15. See Soldiers honoured in new book. Author talk set for public library: https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/soldiers-honoured-in-new-book-author-talk-set-for-public-library-5357955
- Pieter was interviewed by Marcel Link of De Telegraaf, a newspaper in The Netherlands, about his research into Canadian soldiers buried in The Netherlands. The article Zoektocht naar gezichten (Quest For Faces) ran in the newspaper on May 4, 2022 – Remembrance Day in The Netherlands. See https://onthewarmemorialtrail.com/2022/05/04/article-in-de-telegraaf-quest-for-faces-zoektocht-naar-gezichten/
- Cody McEachern of Saltwire interviewed Daria and Pieter for The Guardian. The interview was posted online on April 25, 2022 and ran in The Guardian’s print edition on April 26, 2022. See P.E.I. author highlights 6-week war memorial tour through Europe in new book | SaltWire https://www.saltwire.com/prince-edward-island/news/pei-author-highlights-6-week-war-memorial-tour-through-europe-in-new-book-100721970/
- Angela Walker interviewed Daria for CBC PEI’s Mainstreet PEI program about her book ‘No Soldier Buried Overseas Should Ever Be Forgotten‘, which aired February 17, 2022. See Daria Valkenburg’s new book | Mainstreet PEI with Matt Rainnie | Live Radio | CBC Listen
- Pieter was interviewed by Charlotte MacAulay of the Eastern Graphic, about the successful photo search for WW2 soldier Barney McGuigan, who is buried in The Netherlands. The article Search for teen soldier’s photo is successful, ran in the newspaper on January 13, 2022. See https://www.peicanada.com/eastern_graphic/search-for-teen-soldier-s-photo-is-successful/article_eaee52fa-72e6-11ec-b539-d33f425bb7c3.html
- Search for a photo of WW2 soldier Edmond COULOMBE, who is buried in the Canadian War Cemetery in Groesbeek, The Netherlands in an interview with Kevin Rollason of the Winnipeg Free Press. The article Hunting For Photo To Honour Manitoban ran on November 6, 2021. See https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/life/hunting-for-photo-to-honour-manitoban-575687592.html
- This successful search for a photo of Edmond COULOMBE resulted in a follow-up article, Photo Found To Honour Manitoba War Casualty, ran online on November 10, 2021 in the Winnipeg Free Press. See https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/photo-found-to-honour-manitoba-war-casualty-575714042.html
- Pieter was interviewed by Sharon Adams of Legion Magazine, as part of an article on the Faces To Graves project in The Netherlands. This article was published in the November/December 2021 issue in an article entitled Online Monument. See https://legionmagazine.com/en/2021/11/online-monument/
- Search for a photo of WW2 soldier John Clifford ROGERS, who is buried in The Netherlands in a radio interview on CBC Mainstreet PEI. Listen at https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-130-mainstreet-pei/clip/15819180-pieter-valkenburg-searching-john-clifford-rogers-information. This search was subsequently successful.
- Search for photos of WW2 soldiers buried in The Netherlands on CTV Atlantic’s Live At 5. See https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/dutch-canadian-man-on-a-mission-to-tell-stories-of-lost-soldiers-1.5266404
- A follow-up interview on WW2 soldiers buried in The Netherlands ran on CTV Atlantic’s Live At 5 during Remembrance Week. See https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2318376&jwsource=em
- Search for photos of WW2 First Nations soldiers William DANIELS and Stanley Owen JONES, who are buried in the Canadian War Cemetery in Holten, The Netherlands, in an interview with Brett Forester of APTN news. See https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-news/dutch-born-p-e-i-man-on-a-mission-to-find-photos-of-first-nations-soldiers-killed-overseas-in-wwii/. This search was successful.
- Search for a photo of WW2 soldier Allan Gordon COUTTS, who is buried in the Canadian War Cemetery in Holten, The Netherlands, in an interview with Galen Hartviksen of CKFM radio in Olds, Alberta. See https://ckfm.ca/2021/08/09/11202/. This search was successful.
- After receiving the Governor General’s Sovereign Medal For Volunteers, Pieter was interviewed by CBC Radio’s Mainstreet PEI on May 7, 2021. See https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-130-mainstreet-pei/clip/15842161-pieter-valkenburgs-volunteer-medal
- Anne-Marie Parenteau of CBC’s Radio-Canada Acadie in Moncton interviewed Pieter about his search for a photo of WW1 soldier Joseph Arthur DESROCHES, who is buried in Ligny Saint-Flochel British Cemetery, France. The interview is in French: “La quête d’un homme de l’Î.-P.-É. pour retrouver des photos d’un soldat acadien” … See http://www.radio-canada.ca/util/postier/suggerer-go.asp?nID=4582099. So far, this search is unsuccessful.
- Pieter was interviewed by David Pate on CBC Radio’s Maritime Noon, where he made an appeal for a photo of WW2 soldier Philip Hubert LONG, who is buried in the Canadian War Cemetery in Holten, The Netherlands. See https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R07RkSjTeshJA_-UO_W68fsY3FHCSLPB/view?usp=sharing. This search was successful.
- Search for a photo of WW2 soldier Barney Reuben MCGUIGAN, who is buried in the Canadian War Cemetery in Groesbeek,The Netherlands, in an interview with Angela Walker for CBC Radio’s Mainstreet PEI. See https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VMIbebs8kn2zQv9Al4Ndoy3gezMcWHPK/view?usp=sharing
- Pieter and Elmer MacDonald were interviewed by Matt Rainie of CBC Radio’s Mainstreet PEI about the memorial panel to be installed in Wons, The Netherlands to honour WW2 pilot Elmer Bagnall MUTTART and the crew of Halifax L9561. See https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-130-mainstreet-pei/clip/15737113-war-memorial
- Pieter was interviewed by Angela Walker for CBC Radio’s Mainstreet PEI about the Borden-Carleton Cenotaph Research Project and an upcoming presentation at South Shore United Church in Tryon. See https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/mainstreet-pei/segment/15624306