December 15, 2021. The Borden-Carleton Cenotaph Research Project….. one Cenotaph outside the Borden-Carleton Legion….. 48 names from WW1 and WW2. …. Visits made to the graves and memorials of many of these men in Canada and in Europe …. Almost 6 years in which Pieter researched and we documented the stories of those 48 names.
The final phase of this project was a Cenotaph Wall Of Remembrance inside the Legion. Organized by Kathy Henry, photos were framed, labelled, and placed on one entire wall in the Legion, with soldiers from WW1 on one side, and WW2 on the other side.
….The Cenotaph Wall Of Remembrance Is Prepared….
In addition to placing the photos on the wall, there is a photograph of the Cenotaph, plus a stand built by Mario Henry, which holds a binder in which Pieter prepared a short summary about each of the 48 men.
The pictures were hung, with the stand and binder in place in time for Remembrance Day. On November 11, 2021, Pieter and Mario, two proud veterans, stood beside this completed wall that honours the memories of 48 men from WW1 and WW2.
….The Veterans Christmas tree includes the names from the Cenotaph….
This year’s Veterans Christmas tree in the Borden-Carleton Legion has tags for each of the 48 names from the Cenotaph. As was done last year, veterans from the area were invited to place the tag with their name on the tree. (See last year’s story about this special tree: https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2020/11/25/the-veterans-tree-at-borden-carleton-legion/)
….Which photos are still missing?….
- James CAIRNS, born in Kinkora (See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2020/12/17/the-search-for-a-photo-of-james-cairns-moves-to-youtube/)
- Leigh Hunt CAMERON, born in Albany (See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2019/04/29/the-ww1-soldiers-who-never-left-canada/)
- James Lymon CAMERON, born in Victoria (See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2017/10/23/a-visit-to-chester-farm-military-cemetery/)
- William Galen CAMPBELL, born in Wellington (See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2017/12/08/two-campbell-brothers-in-ww1/)
- Bazil Cormier, born in Tignish (See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/on-the-road-to-rouen/)
- Joseph Arthur DESROCHES, born in Miscouche (See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2020/11/15/the-continuing-search-for-a-photo-of-ww1-soldier-joseph-arthur-desroches/)
- James Graham FARROW, born in Argyle Shore (See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2019/01/20/the-mariner-whose-ship-was-torpedoed-in-the-english-channel/)
- Charles LOWTHER, born in North Carleton (See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2017/09/22/honouring-the-memories-of-kenneth-bell-charles-lowther/)
- Arthur Clinton ROBINSON, born in Tryon (See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2017/10/16/on-the-war-memorial-trail-in-belgium-and-a-visit-to-la-laiterie-military-cemetery/)
- Harry ROBINSON, born in Augustine Cove (See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2019/04/29/the-ww1-soldiers-who-never-left-canada/)
- Leonard Stephen AVERY, born in Bedeque (See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2019/11/26/on-the-war-memorial-trail-the-ww2-soldier-who-was-accidentally-shot/)
- Ernest Ramey GALLANT, born in Borden (See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com/2020/03/07/the-ww2-volunteer-who-perhaps-should-never-have-enlisted/)
Thank you to the Borden-Carleton Legion, with special thanks to Kathy and Mario Henry for preparing the Cenotaph Wall of Remembrance. If you have photos to share, please contact Pieter at email@example.com, comment on the blog, or send a tweet to @researchmemori1.
….Want to follow our research?….
If you are reading this posting, but aren’t following the blog, you are welcome to do so. See https://bordencarletonresearchproject.wordpress.com or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for an invitation to the blog.
You are invited to subscribe to our YouTube Channel: On The War Memorial Trail With Pieter Valkenburg: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ591TyjSheOR-Cb_Gs_5Kw.
© Daria Valkenburg